Some lesson ideas to complete with your students:
- Story sequencing- provide each student with a piece of yarn, a hole puncher, patterns of different foods from the story. Students will trace, cut and color all of the foods from the story. They will then punch a whole in each food. The food will then be put on the yarn in the order it appears in the story.
- Phonics- used the pattern of foods in the story and make cards with beginning and ending sounds of each food. Have students place beginning sounds on one side of chart paper and ending sounds on the other.
- Math-Initially the caterpillar is very small in the story. As he eats his way through the food he becomes bigger and bigger. Give each student 8 different size caterpillars and have them measure to the nearest inch. Record their answers on a separate piece of paper.
- Math/graphing-Make a list of all the foods that were in the story. Graph the students favorite food. Tally the results.
- Science-Talk about the life cycle of a butterfly.